Gaehwasan Mountain 's original name is Juryongsan Mountain. According to a legend of the Silla Dynasty, every September 9, an ascetic whose name was Juryong climbed the mountain with several kids and had a drink, and this is why the mountain was called Juryongsan Mountain. Right on the spot where the ascetic had a drink, a strange flower bloomed, and people began to call the mountain Gaehwasan Mountain (meaning blossom). Gaehwa Neighborhood Park is a park surrounded by dense forest with a commanding view of the Hangang River. It has two temples: Yaksasa Temple and Mitasa Temple. The stone Buddha and the Three-story Stone Pagoda in Yaksasa Temple are precious cultural assets, as designated by the Seoul City Council.
Next to Mitasa Temple is the Monument to the Patriots, which was erected to commemorate the souls of the patriots who died to safeguard their homeland. The park also features three mineral springs and dense forests which offer a commanding view of the Hangang River.
Establishment: July 9, 1977
Park area: 386,500㎡
Main plants: False acacia, P. rigida, oak, Mongolian oak, and P. sargentii
Main facilities: Yaksasa Temple, Yaksasa 3-story Stone Pagoda, Mitasa Temple, mineral springs, the Monument to the Patriots, and sports facilities
Located at 333-2 Gaehwa-dong, Gangseo-gu at the hillside of the northern part of Gaehwasan Mountain, this temple was originally called Gaewasa Temple before King Sunju of Joseon Dynasty and then renamed Yaksasa Temple. According to an article written by Songsukwang in the 27th year of King Sunjo (1827), the temple, which is called Yaksaam in the article, is an old temple that was created during the Three Han States period. This temple also appears in one of the paintings of the great painter Jeong Seon.
This temple is located at 81-13 San, Gaehwa-dong, southwest of the ridge of Gaehwasan Mountain stretching north to south from the summit of the mountain. Mitasa Temple is said to have been built in the same period as Yaksasa Temple.